Saturday, December 19, 2009

Sinter Klaas

My mother immigrated from Holland when she was five. Growing up, we celebrated the arrival of Sinter Klaas. You put your shoe out and Sinter Klaas comes on his horse and leaves a small toy and candy. Anyway, I celebrate with my children just like my mom did with us (including the yummy food). My boys know all about it since we have shared it with their school classes.

This year, we had our little celebration and then got the boys ready for bed. They put out their shoes and helped Zane put out his shoe. Then Derek decided it would be good to leave a carrot in each of their shoes for Sinter Klaas' horse. So they got out the baby carrots and put one in each of their shoes. Derek chomped on some and declared that "I am such a fan of carrots!"

The boys went to bed except for Zane who had taken a long nap. Andy and I were watching TV while Zane played. We heard this crunch and looked over at Zane who was eating the carrots out of the stinky shoes! YUCK! I guess he decided to be a fan of carrots too!

No comments: